Environment is blindsided, taken for granted as government looks forward to “development”

Government’s Stand

Our environment has always been blindsided by the devastating scale of unsustainable evolution triggered by humankind to meet seemingly comical agendas since its inception. Carrying the baton of destruction is the human of today, endlessly opening up the markets for foreign investments to destroy natural resources, executing ill-prepared plans to clear up forest lands to make way for railway lines and other baseless developmental projects and choosing to make environmental projects as defunct as non-existing at the same time.

Coal Projects

In a January 2020 report by nsenergy.com, India’s environment ministry approved 10 coal mining projects that will have a total production capacity of 160 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa) along with clearing four coal washeries that will have a capacity to handle 31Mtpa. It is India’s response to the pledge for a greener future that is being endorsed by every socially active intellectual mind but applied by none.

Railway Projects

In a much recent case, about 2.2 lakh trees in the Western Ghats are to be felled to lay a railway line between Hubballi and Ankola. Despite the fact that the government had another proposal that required only 67 hectares instead of 996 hectares of land, it chose to make 2500 species of plants, animals, and insects go extinct in the year to come. Adding to the colossal damages already, the project would lead to a loss of nearly 2.5 lakh tons of carbon removal annually.

Infrastructure Projects

According to new research by construction blog Bimhow, the construction sector contributes to 23% of air pollution, 50% of the climatic change, 40% of drinking water pollution, and 50% of landfill wastes on a worldwide scale. In a developing country like India, it is projected that 70% of the skyscrapers will still be under construction in 2030. Only 35% of the construction waste can be processed as the other 65% amounts to dusty cities and choked air. This aptly describes the government’s push to boost the infrastructure of the country while deliberately ignoring the repercussions that are going to haunt generations to come.


It’s an undeniable fact that the government of any country is the mirror image of its countrymen. While following the norms initially set up by failing governments, we are ultimately welcoming our own demise by accepting such sham of projects as a country’s progress rather than looking at the lingering factors that are there to pose a grave threat to our lifeline, the environment.

Ideas were given by Gunjan Toora who is the administrator at https://greenfuturefirst.in/


Read More:

Rules and Regulations, a Consequential Issue of India

From Bhagat Singh’s Writings: Idea of New India

Yetesh Sharma